This is Studienett's guide to the exam set in Engelsk Fellesfag Vår 2021 (28 May 2021). The topic for this exam is working and working it out. In this guide we help you with summaries, analysis and focus points in the preparation material and we guide you through the tasks in the exam set.
Answer either 1A or 1B
In the dialogue below you meet Jamie and Alex who are both 19 years old, went to school together and attended the same vocational program. They are meeting up at a café and Jamie arrives out of breath.
Read the dialogue and write a short text about which of these two young people you would rather work with and why. Refer to the dialogue in your text.
Text 1 in the preparation material may be useful for this task.
The following text is a translation from a Norwegian vocational student's post on the website ung.no. He doesn't understand why he and his classmates should have to continue with English at upper secondary school.
Write a short reply to Adam explaining to him why continuing to learn English is important. In your text, use information from text 3 in the preparation material and your own knowledge and experience when it comes to using English in the workplace.
Task 2 Long answer
The following tasks are based on your preparation topic “Working and working it out”.
Answer either 2A, 2B, 2C or 2D.
Many stories for young people focus on characters or people who are working out things like: who they are, who they want to be, what they want to do in life and how they can overcome obstacles that they face.
Choose an English-language story that you have studied and create a text discussing one or more important characters in the story, and their struggles. This story may be, for example, a film, TV series, short story, novel, song text or game.
In your text:
- Introduce the story and character/s you will be discussing
- Discuss what the character or characters are trying to work out and how
- Reflect on what young people can learn from reading or viewing the experiences of fictional characters. Refer to examples from your chosen story.
Texts 5, 6, 7 and 8 in the preparation material may be useful for this task. Give your text a suitable title.
Do you feel that your education has prepared you for working life? Create a text about the vocational education program you are taking and to what extent it has prepared you for working life. Use information from text 1 and/or text 2 in the preparation material.
In your text:
- Introduce the education program that you have studied
- Explain what your main tasks will be in your future job and what you look forward to
- Explain how your profession has changed in recent years
- Discuss to what extent school has prepared you for working life
Give your text a suitable title.
Create a literary text about a character who is working towards a long-term goal. This goal could be about, for example, the character's education, career, personal development or athletic, musical or artistic achievements.
In your text:
- Tell the story of a character in an English-speaking country who is working towards their long-term goal
- Explore one or more challenges that the character encounters when working towards this goal
Some examples of literary texts could be: a story, poem, song text, play or sketch.
Texts 5, 6, 7 and 8 in the preparation material may be useful as inspiration for this task. Give your text a suitable title.
Many young people feel that their countries' leaders just aren't working for them, and so they demand change. Create a text discussing one or two issues that young people say need to be "worked out" in an English-speaking country of your choice.
In your text:
- Introduce and explain the issue/s that young people say need to be worked out in the English-speaking country you have chosen
- Discuss what you think could be done about the issue/s and how young people are contributing
- Include information from the preparation material or other sources
Texts 4a-f in the preparation material may be useful for this task. Give your text a suitable title.
In addition to this guide, we also recommend that you read our general guide for the written exam in English:
I denne veiledningen kan du få tips til skriftlig eksamen i engelsk, uansett om du skal opp i engelsk fellesfag, internasjonal engelsk, samfunnsfaglig engelsk eller engelskspråklig litteratur og kultur. Vi forteller deg i detalj hvordan de fire forskjellige skriftlige eksamenene er bygget opp. Du kan også få gode råd når det gjelder hvordan du forbereder deg best mulig, samt hva du skal være mest påpasselig med under selve eksamen.
You can also read our extensive guide to English grammar:
Dette er Studienetts veiledning til engelsk grammatikk. Vi gjennomgår de områdene innenfor engelsk grammatikk som du kan møte i videregående skole. Veiledningen er generell, og den fokuserer for eksempel ikke på forskjellene mellom engelsk grunnkurs og engelsk som programfag på vg2- og vg3-nivå.