Task 2D in the Engelsk fellesfag exam from spring 2020 requires you to choose one or two texts from the preparation material and create a text discussing how the message in these texts is communicated. The task states that you use text 1 to 7 in the preparation material for your text and requires you to give it a suitable title.
- Text 1a: Play like a girl
- Text 1b: Mana Wahine (the power, authority, and strength of women)
- Text 2a: Why you should choose a university education
- Text 2B: The benefits of vocational education
- Text 3: Extract from The Hate U Give
- Text 4: Opposing views on cultural and social issues in English-speaking countries
- Text 5: Greta Thunberg’s speech at the UN Climate Action Summit 2019
- Text 6: "The Last Bee" - A poem by Brian Bilston
- Text 7: The importance of using a sock; getting a message across when the law forbids it
Text 1a: Play like a girl
Text 1a is a speech given by Billie Jean King, a tennis legend and women’s sports advocate, at the opening of the Women’s National Basketball Allstar game. King’s message is that playing like a girl is a strength, not a weakness. To get her message across, King addresses the girls in the audience directly, using the pronoun “you” and repetition to include them in her speech: “Yes, you. I see you, ready to play.” (l. 8). She also appeals to the audience’s emotions by encouraging them to believe that they can achieve anything they want (ll. 12-14), which is meant to inspire courage and hope in the audience. Her message is reliable since her own career as a female athlete gives her reliability.
King also involves her audience by telling them what they have to do to succeed: “All you have to do is, play like a gi...