This is Studienett’s guide to the exam set in “Engelsk Fellesfag” from 14 November 2019. The topic for this exam is Old Enough.
In this guide we help you with summaries, analysis and focus points in the preparation material and we guide you through the tasks in the exam set.
Answer either 1A or 1B.
In text 7 of the preparation material you have read two emails: one from 11-year-old Betty to the Communications Manager of Pan European Game Information (PEGI) and the other, which is the Communications Manager’s reply to Betty. PEGI has been criticized for not listening or responding to the opinions of young people. You have been asked to help.
Write a short text to the Communications Manager giving her advice about how she should change her email to Betty. Refer to both the language and content of the emails in your advice.
The text below was written by Aaron on the Quora website*, asking for advice about what to say to his friend.
Write a short reply to Aaron, giving advice about what he could say to his friend and how he should say it
The following tasks are based on your preparation topic “Old enough?” Answer either 2A, 2B, 2C, or 2D.
Create a literary text about a young person who thinks that he or she is old enough. Your text must:
- be set in an English-speaking country
- explore ideas about being old enough in a particular situation
- mention one or more facts or opinions from the preparation material
- be titled “Old enough”
Vocational students typically enter working life earlier than other young people. Some people argue that teenagers are not old enough to take on the responsibility of, for example, building someone’s bathroom, installing a company’s electrical wiring or looking after the welfare of somebody’s child or grandparent.
Create a text about whether or not teenagers are ready for the responsibilities of working life. In your text:
- briefly introduce the profession you have chosen to write about
- explain some of the responsibilities and challenges that young apprentices and workers have in this profession
- suggest what can be done at school and at work to help young people deal with these challenges and responsibilities
- discuss whether you think teenagers are ready for the responsibilities of the profession you have chosen
Texts 3, 4 and 6 in the preparation material may be useful for this task. Give your text a suitable title.
In the preparation material you have read different opinions about being old enough to take on the responsibilities of, for example, driving, voting or working.
Create a text discussing how old is “old enough” for specific activities and responsibilities. Your text must:
- specify which activities you are writing about
- focus on one or more English-speaking countries
- discuss which age limit/s should apply and why
- use information from the preparation material
All of the texts in the preparation material may be useful for this task. Give your text a suitable title.
In text 9 of the preparation material you have read about the challenges and responsibilities that Sam takes on as he becomes a teen father.
Create a text discussing a character who takes on responsibility at a young age. The character you discuss may be from the extract from Slam or from another text or film you have worked with during your course. In your text:
- introduce the character you are going to discuss
- explore the challenges that the character faces when taking on these responsibilities
- present and discuss the character’s thoughts and feelings while taking on this challenge or responsibility
- discuss how the text may affect readers’ understanding of what it means to be “old enough”
Give your text a suitable title.
In addition to this study guide, we also recommend that you read our general guide for the written exam in English:
I denne veiledningen kan du få tips til skriftlig eksamen i engelsk, uansett om du skal opp i engelsk fellesfag, internasjonal engelsk, samfunnsfaglig engelsk eller engelskspråklig litteratur og kultur. Vi forteller deg i detalj hvordan de fire forskjellige skriftlige eksamenene er bygget opp. Du kan også få gode råd når det gjelder hvordan du forbereder deg best mulig, samt hva du skal være mest påpasselig med under selve eksamen.
You can also read our extensive guide to English grammar:
Dette er Studienetts veiledning til engelsk grammatikk. Vi gjennomgår de områdene innenfor engelsk grammatikk som du kan møte i videregående skole. Veiledningen er generell, og den fokuserer for eksempel ikke på forskjellene mellom engelsk grunnkurs og engelsk som programfag på vg2- og vg3-nivå.